Open Call - EIC GHG Co-Creation with SUEZ: From collaboration to climate action
As an EIC-funded SME, you probably already had the chance to pitch your solution in multiple matchmaking initiatives to attract the attention of investors or potential customers. But did you ever try to build win-win synergies and co-create solutions with Business Partners? The EIC Greenhouse Gas Programme aims to leverage unique collaborative experiences between EIC companies and large European organisations, and SUEZ is the first corporate to jump on board with more than 10 environmental challenges. Discover how to apply below and co-create your next green innovation with one of the largest utility companies in Europe.
Tell us why you’re the right co-creator here and join the collaborative moment.
Applications are open until 23 July 2021.
The manifesto for environmental stewardship and action has shown how dependant we are on each other to achieve sustainable development and collective wellbeing. With this in mind, multiple European corporates, regions and industrial organizations are taking action to reduce their climate impacts, while building innovative collaborations to drive common progress and achieve mutual goals.
In this context, the EIC Greenhouse Gas Programme is enabling EIC beneficiaries to co-create new green solutions with these business partners, to address their sustainability challenges. SUEZ is the first business partner joining this collaborative experience with CEPI, Bondalti and the cities and regions of Katowice (PL), Stara Zagora (BG) and Western Macedonia (EL) joining soon. SUEZ is committed to reduce 45% of their CO2 emissions by 2030, and, to achieve this goal, the company needs your help to develop multiple climate-responsible solutions.
A roadmap to environmental change
The EIC GHG Co-Creation with SUEZ will be a fully virtual service, taking place throughout six months, following the co-creation roadmap presented below.
Step 1: Application and info webinar
To apply to the GHG EIC Co-Creation with SUEZ, you will have to fill the application form available here by 23 July 2021.
During the application process, an info webinar (28 June 2021, 12:00 CET) will be organised to provide more information about the EIC GHG Co-Creation initiative, the application requirements and the challenges. If you would like to attend this info-webinar, register here.
*Please note that your registration to the info webinar does not imply that you will be selected for the co-creation initiative with SUEZ.
Step 2: Selection process
As soon as we close the submission process, your application will be shared with SUEZ and the corporate will proceed with the evaluation and selection of the final list of participants. You will be contacted once the selection process is concluded. However, any feedback or recommendation to the companies that were not selected is not foreseen.
Step 3: Co-creation kick-off event
After the selection process, a two-day ideation event with SUEZ representatives will take place on 27 and 28 October 2021. This will help you to better understand the challenges and start co-developing your solutions together with the business partners. During this meeting, you will also have the chance to define a clear roadmap with your next steps.
Step 4: Iteration & Development
Every participant will have two months to implement the roadmap defined during the kick-off meeting. Corporate representatives will remain at your disposal throughout the Iteration & Development process to provide you guidance and answer the needs you may have.
The Demo Day will showcase the final solutions and promote them to a broader audience (date TBD).
Time to recycle, recover and reuse: the 3 R’s from SUEZ’s challenges
SUEZ is committed to adapt to the consequences of climate change on water, promote material recycling, recovery and reuse, and develop climate-responsible models. For this EIC GHG Co-Creation initiative, the corporate brought complex problems linked to sustainable transformation on GHG emissions, air quality, waste and wastewater treatment and water. All of them will require fresh thinking and a new approach based on novel technologies and models.
SUEZ is looking for different solutions in the following four categories:
- On-site measurement of diffuse GHG emissions (N2O, CO2 and CH4) in landfill, composting, Energy from waste & wastewater treatment plant
- Real time monitoring of air pollution in urban areas
- Treatment of air pollution in industrial contexts
- Green products for Odors treatment (VOC) in wastewater treatment
- Dynamic waste collection, combining digital real time routing with smart bins, waste arising data and ‘big’ data to move completely from collection to schedule to collection on demand.
- Automatic (AI, computer vision…) waste composition analysis in sorting plants, helping refine and tune systems for efficiency, making sorting more efficient, use less resources and save carbon.
- Quantity and quality optimization in waste (detail type of waste): Dynamic waste flow management and prediction (knowing what’s likely to arrive where and when, what’s in stock and processing capacity).
- Converting biogas (focus on biogenic methane) from landfills and AD plants to climate-neutral hydrogen and valuable solid carbon byproduct.
- New suppliers that can offer low energy process for the conversion of the CO2, or other kind of utilization that can substitute fossil-based products with a reduced carbon footprint and at low cost.
Wastewater treatment & Water
- Use of AI to optimize OPEX of water & wastewater treatment plants in a DBO contract.
- Boost the production of biogas in the digestion reactor or how to produce a biogas with more CH4 and less CO2.
- Have a technology with a competitive TOTEX to recover Nitrogen directly in the wastewater or in the concentrate of the digestion process.
- A technology that will be able to treat a selective pollutant or organic matter in a drinking water treatment plant (e.g. selective adsorption).
- Have a technology to recover specific rare earth element in the brine.
More information about the challenges from SUEZ can be found here.
SUEZ has been the leading expert in water and waste management for 160 years. Operating on 5 continents, SUEZ harnesses all its desire for innovation to achieve a smart and sustainable management of resources throughout the world. The company works with its customers to restore and conserve the planet's fundamental elements that are water, air and soil.
About the EIC Business Acceleration Services
This opportunity is brought to you by the EIC Business Acceleration Services. To explore other opportunities to connect with the largest corporates in Europe, keep an eye on our events page.
About the EIC GHG programme
With the EIC GHG programme, part of the Business Acceleration Services, the EIC offers its beneficiaries the support and expertise needed to assess, track and efficiently reduce their carbon footprint through the use of a dedicated GHG tool, monthly webinars and further resources.
In addition, co-creation activities with corporates, industrial associations, regions in carbon transition and other EIC beneficiaries are taking place on a regular basis. More information on the EIC GHG programme can be found here.
For additional information, please refer to our helpdesk (please choose 'EIC GHG: Co-creation with SUEZ’ as the subject).